Hammersmith & Fulham bid to be London's Borough of Culture
In June, the Mayor of London formally announced a competition for a new London Borough of Culture to encourage investment in culture to stimulate regeneration, social change and economic growth. All 32 boroughs will be invited to apply to be London Borough of Culture. Two boroughs will be selected, one to be ‘London Borough of Culture’ for 2019 and one for 2020. Each winning borough will receive up to £1.1m revenue grant.
Hammersmith & Fulham’s bid
Hammersmith & Fulham recently created an arts strategy, which HammersmithLondon BID supports, aimed at bolstering cultural provision in the borough and ensuring that everyone, regardless of background, has access to the arts. This will form the bedrock of the bid. The strategy comprises three areas:
- DESTINATION: We want to develop Hammersmith & Fulham as a thriving borough for the arts and promoting it as a creative and exciting place to live in, do business in and visit from within London, across the UK and overseas.
- CREATION: We want to stimulate artistic achievement and support adults, children and young people from a wide range of backgrounds to create, produce and perform excellent art of all kinds.
- INCLUSION: We want to ensure that residents from diverse backgrounds get more opportunity to enjoy and participate in a variety of types of art which challenges and inspires them and promotes their health and well-being.
The Hammersmith & Fulham bid will lead with a programme of events, activities and opportunities focused on meeting the objectives of the arts strategy.
How Can You Help?
Hammersmith & Fulham will go live with their bid on Friday 3 November and you can help in the following ways:
SHARE YOUR IDEAS
- From 3 November, go online at www.hfculture.london and answer the council’s questionnaires.
- Come to one of the consultation events (dates on www.lbhf.gov.uk)
- Email email@example.com
BACK THE BID – FROM 3 NOVEMBER
- Register your support at www.hfculture.london
- Share on social media, using the hashtags #mylocalculture and #hfculture
- Request a poster from firstname.lastname@example.org
SHARE WITH YOUR NETWORKS
- Use the H&F Culture brand on your communications
- Encourage others to back the bid